Having been the pastoral Willowie Station since 1844, the hundred of Willowie was declared in 1875 and the town was proclaimed in 1878. Originally successful, with a number of agriculturalists buying sections in the area, the 1882 drought ruined many, and the town is now a handful of houses, surrounded by scenery, backed by Mount Remarkable and close to the more substantial towns of Wilmington and Orroroo. It has a beautiful cemetery and memorial garden.